Friday, October 9, 2009

Weekend Plans

Here are some initial plans for this Sunday's optional get-together:

BUILDING:
There will be a couple of building project opportunities. I think it will be smartest to start the day out with a trip to BRING recycle - our local recycling and donation center. There we will get some materials for making gardening cold frames (for cold weather gardening) and perhaps a couple of other experimental objects (I'm thinking low-cost solar oven) or passive solar water heater. If you are interested in this group, please BLOG with ideas, take dimensions if you want to build something for your own space and if you have any tools such as cordeless screw-drivers, please bring them.  Trip to BRING at 10:30AM, we will cut things down to size at my place (where we have electricity) and then head up to the land to build.


GARDENING:
Aside from putting together the cold frame boxes, I can talk a bit about soil ecology, what grows in Eugene in the Fall and some techniques for growing your own food. 


FOOD:
A team of cooks (and/or aspiring cooks) are piecing together plans for an outdoor cookout. We will be building a firepit and a pit-oven (we have one volunteer already for this). So far we have plans for roasted veggies, soda-bread, potatoes? and other delightful foodstuffs. Libby, Diane, Keith and Brian S. are heading this up (forgive me if I forgot anyone).


Please email me if you plan on attending, tell me which group(s) you are interested in and I will help you get in contact with each other. I will send another email out tomorrow night with details about where to meet and how to get there. I'm looking forward to an outdoor day in the sun...building, gardening and cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment